Who is entitled to an allowance?

Children with a disability or disorder are entitled to receive additional support. Children suffering from a long-term chronic illness, cancer, etc. are also entitled to an extra allowance to make their care more financially bearable.

Each disability, condition or disorder is assessed using three pillars:

1. The physical and mental consequences

2. The impact on your child’s daily routine (e.g., mobility, learning ability)

3. The impact on your family (e.g., medical treatment, necessary travel)

The doctor from Kind & Gezin assigns a number of points to each pillar. Your child is entitled to an additional allowance if at least four points are achieved in the first pillar or at least six points are achieved for the three pillars combined.

MyFamily_Groeipakket berekenen_rekenmachine_Secundary education

How much does the care allowance amount to?

The amount you receive depends on the number of points awarded by doctor contracted by Kind & Gezin.

Number of points for three pillars combinedNumber of points for first pillarAmount
0 – 54 or more€ 87,41
6 – 80 – 3€ 116,41
6 – 84 or more€ 448,42
9 – 110 – 3€ 271,66
9 – 114 or more€ 448,42
12 – 14n/a€ 448,42
15 – 17n/a€ 509,89
18 – 20n/a€ 546,31
21 or moren/a€ 582,73

How can you apply for the additional allowance?

Step 1
You can contact us by phone, email or letter depending on your preference.

Step 2
We will contact Kind & Gezin to start the investigation.

Step 3
Kind & Gezin will then assess your child’s disability and inform us, so we can pay the additional allowance. Depending on Kind & Gezin’s decision, we can also assign the additional allowance retrospectively.

What if the medical condition of your child changes? Please contact us to request a reassessment.

Is the assessment for your child about to expire? Don’t panic. Kind & Gezin will automatically start an enquiry for a new assessment. Please make sure you provide Kind & Gezin the completed forms on time. If they receive the forms too late, they will reject your application. We will receive the correct information from them and inform you of your entitlement to the additional allowance.

man met cijfers

Do you still receive the care allowance if your child works?

Your child may work as much as possible without losing their entitlement to the additional allowance until your child turns 18.

From the month in which your child turns 18 up until the month in which they turn 21, you still receive the additional allowance under different conditions:

  • If your child works without complete social security documentation (e.g., a student contract), as a volunteer or in a sheltered workshop, social workshop or a company for adapted employment, either under an apprenticeship contract or not.
  • If your child combines work with their studies, the following conditions apply:
    • He or she can’t work over 475 hours for the full year as a student
    • He or she can’t work over 80 hours per month as a normal worker
    • He or she is not registered as a full-time self-employed person

A social benefit that is the result of permitted activities, or a jobseeker’s allowance for school leavers, has no effect on the additional allowance.

Do you still receive an additional allowance if your child is older than 21 years of age?

As soon as your child turns 21, you no longer receive an additional allowance on top of the child benefit. You can request an allowance for persons suffering from a handicap via MyHandicap as of their 20th birthday. The municipality organises the payments via FPS Social Security.

If your child continues their studies, secures a placement or is registered as a job seeker, you will still receive the basic child benefit without an additional allowance. In this regard, the general conditions for child benefit apply.

Want to know more about the care allowance?

Our Groeipakketcoaches will be happy to give you all the information you need.

Stay informed about MyFamily? Sign In: